Hyper-V Issue Windows cannot format this drive

I was just trying to explore and working on daily performance and health check of Microsoft Hyper-V Machines and the bad thing was awaiting for me and there was a Virtual Machine and its Virtual Hard Disk was corrupted. I am good I.T Professional and I always have backups but what to do with this? It was not even allowing me to format the drive because when I click to format the drive, I got below error;
"Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."
Well, I was thinking that this is another Hyper-V bug and was hoping so that there will be no solution of this but only my first opinion about Hyper-V was wrong and second was really not wrong because there is a solution that someone can say "a bad solution". This is a very common problem on Windows and it is not limited to Hard disk but it also covers memory cards, USB Drives etc and it is all because of a Virus attack. I didn't find any good solution other than formatting and the way to format (if it works, because sometimes format is even faded) is as under;

Solution 1:

  1. Restore your System to some old date.

Solution 2 :

  1. Restart your Computer
  2. Press F8 and use CHKDSK command to fix your hard disk.

Solution 3 :

  1. Right Click on My Computer then Click on Manage
  2. Navigate to Disk Management and then click on your effected drive.
  3. Right Click on effected drive and chose Format
  4. Format works in Disk Management but if it didn't works with you, please chose Delete Drive or Delete Volume option.

Comments